06 February 2008

Fasnachts.

Lewisburg.

Doughnuts. For a variety of reasons, they've never really had much of a chance to catch on as regular - or even occasional - homemade treats. Or, more accurately, for one reason: I'm not keen on cleaning up the mess of deep-frying. Sure, they aren't the healthiest food option available, and they don't keep well for very long, but that hasn't stopped me from doing other sorts of cooking.

And, honestly, the cleanup isn't that bad. Not so bad that I can't make an old family tradition once a year. Okay, so my mom didn't make her own yeast-risen dough. But I still have fond memories of those deep-fried, pre-made biscuits, because there's nothing like goodies straight out of the oil. And rolled in sugar. Especially when you're eight.

This was a once-a-year thing, of course, and it was as celebratory as we got for whatever it is that you want to call Fat Tuesday.1 My parents picked up on some of the Fasnacht traditions from when they lived in southern Germany, and I remember receiving a King Cake from my uncle in New Orleans at least one year, but doughnuts - or fasnachts, as my family calls them for this particular occasion - are the peak for me. At least they're easy.

Two weeks ago, or so, I spotted a sign at the local grocery store announcing that they'd have "Fastnacht Donuts" for February 5th. I can't say that the sugary dough puffs nestled in among the awful grocery-store cakes particularly appealed to me, but the idea certainly did. So I called my mom.

She, fortunately, had some time and went looking for the traditional recipe - in her well-worn German cookbook2 - while I hung out on the phone. This is when she pointed out that she used the tubes of Pillsbury biscuits or something like that, but was really excited that I was going to give it a shot the traditional way. It took some time to get the recipe, since we couldn't remember what they were really called. Turns out they're called either Fasnacht kuchen or Bismarcks, or, in their jelly-filled incarnation, Berliners.

Berliners of JFK "I am a jelly doughnut" faux pas fame, of course.

I scrawled the recipe down on a too-small piece of paper, set it aside, and waited. And, for tradition's sake, I made up a small batch last night. They were even better than I remembered, all light and airy, not too sweet, and not at all greasy. So oil-free, actually, that I had to spin them over in the oil just before taking them out so there was enough to make the sugar stick. Suffice to say, we ate them all.

Fasnacht

Fasnacht kuchen
Makes thirty to thirty-six
Adapted from that old German cookbook in my mom's kitchen

Ingredients
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup butter, plus more for greasing bowls
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon instant yeast
  • 3 egg yolks
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • Vanilla sugar, for dusting
  • Oil, for deep-frying
Directions
  1. Scald the milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. While warm, add the sugar, salt and butter, stirring to dissolve and melt. Allow to cool to room temperature, then whisk the egg yolks in thoroughly.

  2. Mix the flour and yeast together in a large bowl, and add the milk mixture, stirring to make a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Form into a ball, place into a buttered bowl, cover, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about two hours.

  3. Turn the dough back out onto the floured board, punch down, and roll out to approximately ½-inch thick. Cut into 3-inch rounds with a biscuit cutter, kneading together and recutting scraps, and allow to rest, covered, for another hour.

  4. Heat a large, deep pot with at least two inches of oil to 365° F. Drop the dough rounds into the hot oil, being sure not to crowd, and cook on each side for about three minutes, or until well-browned. Remove to a rack to drain briefly - until cool enough to touch - before rolling in vanilla sugar. Serve while still warm.
For Berliners, there are two options: a) After frying, poke a hole in the side of each doughnut and use a piping bag and tip to squirt the jelly in; or b) when rolling out, roll the dough to ¼-inch thick. Top rounds with a tablespoon of jelly, then use another to form the top, pinching the edge to make a seal. Personally, I lean to the former option, since any imperfectly sealed, jelly-filled bombs are going to make an awful, hot, splattery mess.

Plus, I like 'em plain. With a little jelly on the side. And a nice cup of coffee.

* * * * *

1I'm interested solely in the food aspect, so "Fat Tuesday" seems to fit best. Though anyone who feels the urge to dress in eye-searingly gaudy colors and dance about in the streets like a lunatic gets a thumbs-up from me.

2I don't even know the actual title. It just gets called the "black German cookbook" because it's the only cookbook with a (faded) black binding and something about German cooking in gold lettering on the spine. Any dust cover disappeared long before my memory of it begins.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krapfen!!!!! I didn't have any this year for Fat Tuesday, as Feb 5 was also my birthday and Jesse made me my traditional Gingerbread cake. I loved Krapfen when I lived in Munich. Normally, you can just get them with the jelly or the vanilla custard filling, but at Fasching (the Munich word for Fat Tuesday) they come in all different flavors- and you have to be careful, because sometimes you end up with one filled with mustard or something "icky." I think it's awesome that you called them "Fasnachts" in your family. Food etymology is so interesting.

what's a King Cake, exactly? When we were in Spain, Jesse and I got to try Three Kings' Cake (a slightly sweetened, heavy-ish yeasted braided wreath, filled with whipped cream studded with candied fruits...) Jesse got the piece with the "Jewel" in it, which we saved in case we ever need to make one of our own. Is that what a King Cake is?

Brian Garthwaite said...

Yeah, there are too many names associated with both that day and those doughnuts. Sharon and I were sitting around trying to list them all the other night, after she found out that a couple from her department (she's from Maryland; he's from Ireland) calls it "Pancake Day" and have made some sort of half-American, half-Irish family tradition. Involving pancakes.

As far as I recall, that's pretty much a King Cake. I don't remember a whipped cream filling - it was something else sweet, but firmer - and the New Orleans version is always topped with purple, yellow, and green icing. I think the little item inside the cake varies, too; I've heard of it being a ring sometimes, a little baby figurine at other times. Something about good luck for the new year, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

mmm. Pancake Night sounds good, too. Really I think the best thing about Karnival/Fasching is that it's sort of a set up in a little kid mentality- 'we know we're going to have to be good for a really long time starting Ash Wednesday, so let's just be as bad as we possibly can right before it.' It's really amusing.

Also, I am intrigued at how the tradition evolved so that Church-mandated fasting just happened to coincide with late winter/early spring, when there isn't necessarily much leftover from Fall Harvest for your average Medival peasant or town dweller to eat. I wonder if the entire course of European history/cultural development would have /might have been different if angry hungry people had not been turned into happy/righteous hungry people? Would there have been more uprisings of the lower classes against the Church and the State? Would the grip of The Monarchy on governmental power have been more absolute? Would agricultural innovation have happened sooner if there had been 'no good reason' to be hungry during February and March?

Eh. This must be why I never get much work on the Diss done. Too many other random thoughts wandering through my head.