06 May 2006

Jawbox!

Madison.

Lost the bresaola today. I'm not entirely sure why, but the basement's become excessively humid recently. Upper seventy percent, which I'm hoping is primarily due to all the recent rain we've had. The complication, of course, is that it's a much more pleasant environment for mold, and some ugly gray and blue-green specimens had moved in on the bresaola. I'm not sure what they might be - Aspergillus, maybe - but it doesn't matter. They're likely toxic, and I'm not messing with that. Into the trash, and I'll try again when the conditions improve.

Sigh.

Tonight's bound to be interesting, though. I guess we're far enough away from the '90s that Julie's decided to throw a party with that as the theme. I think it's mainly early '90s, and it's a struggle to remember what everyone looked like back then. I'm making my best guess, and dressing more or less like my friends and I did back in '95, with a little more punk. Cargo pants. Long-sleeved shirt with collared, short-sleeved shirt overtop. Doc Martens. Knit cap with the sideburns coming through. It'll work well enough.

Other thoughts I'd had, but decided against:
  • Henry Rollins in the Rollins Band era. I'm not ripped, heavily tattooed, and it's not warm enough to go wearing nothing but a pair of black shorts. Plus, I'm not feeling that angry tonight.

  • Jawbox circa 1995. I already do the jeans and t-shirt thing normally, so it seems like a copout if I just go like that. Maybe if I normally went around in prom gowns or all decked out in full Goth regalia, I could pull that off.

  • I'd really wanted to do the Stone Roses look, particularly with the Reni hat. I've got a floppy hat that's close enough, but we're back to the way I normally dress. Plus, The Stone Roses was released in '89, so that's a cheat. And it's not like anyone else there could be expected to even know who they were.

  • Grunge. Nah.

  • And last but not least, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Oh, if only Sharon would let me out of the house wearing that much plaid.

No comments: