07 June 2006

Around the world in 90 days?

Chicago.

Lacking the time and the excess cash necessary, I don't get to do much traveling. Less than I'd like, certainly. It doesn't help that most travel writing I come across - through newspapers, magazines, etc. - isn't geared to me. It's for folks with lots of money to throw around, the sort who visit France and only eat at places with Michelin stars.

High class luxury. No thanks. Not so interested.

Now, though, the New York Times has sent Matt Gross to travel around the world, on the cheap, and he's writing about it weekly. It's not the cheapest travel ever - he's not a student backpacker - but it's roughly at a level I could be comfortable with. Splurge on dinner and drinks every once in a while? Sounds good to me.

The plan goes like this: Fly into Lisbon May 11th. Fly out of Beijing August 11th. Get from one to the other using whatever discount travel is available, and go wherever readers recommend. The less traveled the route, the better. Limit $100 per night for accommodations, $40 per day for food, but less is preferable. Plus, it's all supposed to be interesting.

Right now he's passing through Italy - Venice, to be precise. Interesting? Probably. Accessible? Too much so. Personally, I can't wait until he starts to make his way through Asia.

I want to hear all about the Silk Road.

No comments: