03 April 2006

Doug & Ingrid.

Madison.

I completely forgot about this last night, but my Hot Doug's t-shirt got all kinds of attention at the farmers' market on Saturday. To the point where one of the guys at Cress Springs Bakery said he'd spotted it from across the room, spurring a Hot Doug's conversation. Apparently he's heard of it, but hasn't been there yet. In exchange, he mentioned a place called Lula's around Logan Square, as well as Sunprint On The Square here in Madison for good, cheap breakfasts. Among the others intrigued by Hot Dougs: John and Dorothy from Fountain Prairie Farm. They're taking my recommendation so strongly that, for a trip to the city with friends this May, John's only condition was that they stop in for hot dogs.

As someone who makes every excuse to drop by - and I have no other reason to be within a mile of that place - I can understand.

Breakfast in Madison makes me think that the market will soon be moving outdoors. While that spells the end of market breakfasts, it also means that I can get myself some Johnson Brothers coffee1, then swing by Ingrid's LunchBox for some hearty, Midwestern eats. Her crepes - filled with whatever's fresh and seasonal - are delicious, if a bit messy to eat. And the oatmeal is outstanding. Ingrid's a professionally-trained chef, and it shows. Everything on the menu is delicious and well-rounded, and shows a thoughtful approach to the local food.

Also to look forward to, in the way of market breakfasts: fresh buttermilk doughnuts.

* * * * *

1Best coffee available in Madison, hands down. And, I say with no exaggeration, some of the finest available in the country. The downside is that, for me, I have a tough time drinking anything but, such that I've been coffee-free for some time now. But it's oh so worth it...

No comments: