25 April 2011

Spring liveliness.

Lewisburg.

I planted my strawberries today - three weeks after they arrived - and I'm pleasantly sore from lugging several yards of soil about the yard. (There's still more to go, but it's less pressing.)

It's getting ickily humid, with thunderstorms potentially arriving any moment, but there's been just enough evening light for a few photos.

The hops are getting big. Fast. This one's over two feet, from barely finger-length less than two weeks back:
Climbing hops

The Asian pears are just about to burst into bloom:
Pear flowers

Peaches, on the other hand, aren't waiting:
Peach flowers

And, as near as I can tell, the blackcurrant bush is happy. It was a sudden gift from our friends Matt and Nina, who moved from Lewisburg last summer. Nina couldn't bear leaving it to be ignored - or worse, torn out - by the subsequent renters, and asked if we'd please take it. The deathly dry August weather didn't give me too much hope for a good relocation, but there wasn't a choice. But, hey, it's looking lively:
Blackcurrant buds

So while I've been doing all this, my neighbors have been mowing their lawns. Ah, the impending tedium.

No comments: