16 April 2009

Mussels.

Lewisburg.

I love mussels. I realize that they're not for everyone, with a relatively powerful shellfish flavor, and a pretty high "ick" factor for those who're squeamish about where meat comes from, but I just adore them. Even with all of the other seafood options available, it's one that I'll swing back to, time and time again.

For starters, there's less question of freshness and quality with mussels, as compared to, say, fish fillets. They're still alive when you get them, with a handy tag telling you when and where they came out of the water. No concerns about multiple freezings, or sitting too long in the cooler display, or any of that.

Unlike other bivalves, they're sand- and grit-free. As tasty as clams are, it's always aggravating when you realize another change of fresh water would've been appropriate. And they don't require specialized, hand-puncturing knives1 to enjoy, unlike oysters. Also: no little hidden bones or other, uh, textural surprises.

The sand-free benefit comes from the cultivation method used, which involves suspending ropes seeded with mussel spat from rafts, thus keeping them well away from the ocean floor. This gets mussels a big thumbs-up from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch, which notes that "[mussel] aquaculture operations often benefit the surrounding marine habitat."

Mussels are also very, very easy to cook, which makes them a real treat for busy days. I like to cook them the day that I bring them home,2 if possible, but another day or two in the fridge has never been a problem. Even Emily Weinstein agrees that they're about as simple as can possibly be. My preferred method is how Sharon and I used to enjoy them at the Hopleaf Bar in Chicago: in wheat beer with shallots, celery, thyme, and bay leaf. Theirs also comes with a basket of heavenly frites and aioli - sometimes I'll make potatoes, but I'm too lazy for frites - but that's just icing on top.

Mussels

Also good if you've got some: a fine Breton or Norman dry cider. Traditional? No. But never not delicious.

* * * * *

1Okay, I've never actually tried shucking oysters before, but my access to high-quality ones is extremely limited, anyhow. I'm perfectly happy leaving the shucking to the professionals, and only having them as a very occasional treat.

2Ideally Wednesday, since the trash goes out that night.

3 comments:

melissa said...

oh, no need to convince me! You had me at the title.

I am, however, one of the very few people I know who eats them with a knife and fork.

Brian Garthwaite said...

Knife and fork? I'm utterly classless, and simply enjoy mine with (inevitably messy) fingers. Sharon's a utensil person, too, though fork only, I believe.

I can't understand why we never gorged ourselves on mussels in college. Besides being cheap ($3/lb. these days) and tasty, I'm certain they were always available at the Wegman's right in our backyard.

Alaina Missbach said...

Haha--you should try shucking oysters! It provides you with a real since of accomplishment, like you've really "worked" for your food. Just make sure you have a rubber glove or something but no need for a fancy oyster knife--a screwdriver will do. Thanks for the easy mussels recipe...definitely going to try it! -Alaina
http://gourmetobserver.blogspot.com