25 September 2006

Big dinner success!

Chicago.

The big dinner at Fountain Prairie - along with the accompanying time at the farm - was a great success. John Priske asked that I write up a post to detail the local food emphasis, and that should be up at some point over the weekend. If Emily and Kendra give me permission to upload some of their photos, I'll include those, as well. Given the breadth and depth it'll take to really discuss the weekend - from the planning to the meal to my thoughts on room for improvement - I expect to write up several posts, each focusing on different aspects.

Before then, though, a few miscellaneous observations from it all:
  • Pancakes with maple syrup and sour cream are a wonderful thing. I've enjoyed sour cream on potato pancakes before, but this particular combination never occurred to me.

  • Though part of it may have been my sheer exhaustion - Saturday was a very long day, right on the heels of some other long days and short nights - the bed at Fountain Prairie was unbelievably comfortable. It was so soft and enveloping, I sank in and passed out.

  • When searching for the perfect sandwich, an excellent reference is the BLT. I'll discuss this more in-depth in a later post, but a well-made BLT is all about balance, and that's a crucial, oft-overlooked aspect of sandwich construction.

  • My friends are an extraordinarily helpful bunch, and I'm very grateful. Special thanks to those who tackled the mounds of dishes until the wee hours of the morning while I was plunked down at the table, too tired to be useful.

No comments: